Monday, March 23, 2020

Miata: Tires, Brakes, Wheel Bearings, Hubs, Federals

Rear driver-side is done. Remembered I had a wheel bearing puller from forever ago, so it made quick work of removing and installing the wheel bearings and hubs. The biggest issue was getting the C-clip out and back in. Coated everything in some high temp grease and re-installed. Had to refurbish the caliper, but it wasn't a big deal. Some rust remover, solvent, and a plastic wire brush made it easy. Cleaned, re-painted, and re-greased everything before putting it all back together. Noticed one of the infamous anti-rattle "M" springs fell out, so I'll probably order a replacement set before finishing the other side, even though I know they aren't necessary. The Supermiata braided SS brake line is installed and good to go. I rounded the compression fitting nut taking the old line off because I didn't have a line wrench, but a small pipe wrench got it off and all back together. I can put off buying a flare tool...for now. While I was at it I cleaned the wheel arch and suspension components. My buddy, Alec, also got the  Federals mounted! Finishing up the passenger side brakes and then I'll swap wheel spacers up front (going 0.25" wider) and get this thing road worthy again. I think my battery shit the bed, so add that to the list of things I need to waste money on.